Music/Movie Monday: "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer"
A few days ago, one of my friends shared her issues with a well-known Christmas movie. While she shared her issues, we laughed at the fact that we've probably watched this movie hundreds of times and we never thought of these issues before. I didn't want to embarrass my friend and lay out all her issues with this particular movie in my blog, so I started going through my mental file of well-known Christmas songs. As a result, we're going to talk about the song, "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer." Have you ever wondered where in the world this song came from?
Let's summarize this song first:
- Grandma and grandpa are hanging out at their family's house on Christmas Eve
- Grandma drinks too much eggnog and while in the process of becoming tipsy notices she forgot her medication
- The family begs her not to go out in the snow to get her medication, but she doesn't listen
- She was found the next day with hoof prints on her forehead and Claus marks on her back
- Grandpa is so upset about the whole incident that he's drowning himself in football games, playing cards, and drinking beer
- The family wonders if they should open grandma's presents or just send them back
So, I wonder...Did Santa get arrested for leaving the scene of the crime? If grandpa was so unconcerned about grandma being gone, what kind of person was he, or better yet, what kind of person was she?
"Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" was written by Randy Brooks and was inspired by Merle Haggard's "Grandma's Homemade Christmas Card." Randy wrongly guessed that the third verse to Merle's song would say that one year the Christmas card never arrived and thus the family learned of her death. (http://www.events-in-music.com/the-history-of-grandma-got-run-over-by-a-reindeer.html)
How would a sweet song about a Christmas card from grandma inspire a song written about a grandma getting run over by a reindeer? That takes one creative mind.